CITY STATUS GRANTED IN: OCTOBER 1973
ELECTED COUNCILLORS AND WARDS: 18
POPULATION ESTIMATE: 171 000
TRANSIT POPULATION: 50 000
TOTAL AREA: 30 000 hectares
ALTITUDE: 1416 above sea level
RAINFALL: 690mm per year
- TARRED 426,4km
- EARTH AND GRAVEL 639,6km
- WATER SOURCES 5 million m3
- TREATMENT CAPACITY 70 ML per day
- WATER DEMAND 65 ML per day
SEWAGE TREATMENT CAPACITY: 30 ML per day
WORKFORCE OF MUNICIPALITY: 1 187
- LOW DENSITY AND MEDIUM 6000 units
- HIGH DENSITY 30 000 units
NUMBER OF SCHOOLS: [PUBLIC AND PRIVATE]
- SECONDARY 13
- PRIMARY 20
- TERTIARY 3
NUMBER OF MEDICAL FACILITIES:
- PRIVATE HOSPITALS 2
- PUBLIC HOSPITALS 5
- INSTITUTIONAL CLINICS 3
- PUBLIC CLINICS 7
- PRIVATE CLINICS 19
- Stands on Offer:
- Mkoba 21 High Density Residential Scheme
- Developers can purchase stands or partner with Council in servicing the available 6 484 (200-400m2) high and medium density stands.
- All stands are title surveyed and located 6 kilometres from City Centre
- Offsite municipal services available.
- Proposed Mtapa Country and Intercity Bus Termini
- This 10 hectare site is partially serviced and located 6 kilometres from City centre.
- Developers can partner with Council in developing a modern transit exchange terminal for long distance and intercity buses.
- Ancillary modern facilities e.g. shopping mall, public car parks, commuter ranks, passenger shelters and conveniences can be included.
- Central Business District Extension
- A total of 110 (1200 m2-10 500m2) commercial stands will be made available.
- Offsite municipal services are readily available.
- Stands are suitable for the development of shopping malls, office complexes and leisure facilities.
- Light and Heavy Industrial Stands
- Stands measuring from 5000m2 to over10 000m2 are available in the industrial areas located within 6 kilometres from City Centre.
- All stands are title surveyed and offsite municipal services, road and rail available.
- Infrastructure provision
Opportunities to partner with Council also exist in the provision, maintenance and rehabilitation of municipal infrastructure in the following areas:
- The roads network of over 1066km.
- The public lighting network of over 300 km.
- Water pumping, treatment and distribution. (2 water treatment plants and 3 booster pump stations).
- Sewage pumping, transmission and treatment (2 treatment plants and 6 pumping stations).
- For all industrial, commercial and institutional stands a half down payment is required with the balance payable over a period of 6 months.
- For residential stands, a minimum deposit of $500.00 is required with the balance payable over 48 months.
- For all stands, a development period of 6 years from date of signature of sale agreement is granted.
REASONS TO INVEST IN THE CITY OF GWERU
- Gweru City is centrally located in Zimbabwe and well connected with major road and rail networks and air services.
- A strong industrial base hinged on mining and agro processing industries.
- Abundant and reliable water supplies.
- The City is a major educational centre and has world class health facilities and other social amenities.
The Town Clerk
City of Gweru
Cnr R.G Mugabe and 8th Street
Telephone: 054 (224071-9)